My mom asked me today how long MJ and I were planning on doing Paleo and my answer was, “until our wedding and probably after.” I think I shocked her but we really don’t see this as a diet but rather a lifestyle change. Trust me we will have a cheat meal once a week but I feel so much better overall not eating as much crappy food. There is nothing wrong with the way anyone else eats but I like the change we made (and I’ve now lost a total of 7.5 lbs.) so I want to stick with it even though….I FREAKING LOVE CARBS! I can’t tell you how many times I crave pizza. If you put dessert in front of me I can resist all day. If you put something savory and cheesy in front of me all willpower is out the window.
I don’t want to deprive myself of the yummier things in life so I was so happy to find this recipe. We all remember the vegan mac n cheese that I posted on my Facebook page right? To refresh your memory it looked yummy but tasted like cardboard. This time was very different. The pizza looked great after coming out of the oven. We both grabbed a piece and took a bite in silence waiting for it to be terrible but plot twist..it tasted AWESOME! The entire pizza is around 1000 calories and we each ate half. Neither of us felt crappy afterward and we both had that pizza craving satisfied.
Maybe you don’t want to go full on Paleo but if you are looking to satisfy that pizza craving with natural ingredients and less calories here is your answer:
^This should tell you how much I doubted my original attempt. I didn’t even take my “professional” photos of the food. It only lasted long enough for a snap. (For more lovely pics like this follow my attempts on snapchat: adashofsass)
- 3/4 Cup Tapioca Flour
- 1/2 Cup + 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- ¾ tsp real salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- ⅓ Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Honey
- All natural, no sugar added sauce
- 1/2 cup green onions, diced
- 1 piece of grilled chicken, sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the tapioca flour, coconut flour, and salt in a bowl and mix together.
- Make a well the center of the combined flours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, olive oil, coconut milk, and honey.
- Pour the mixture into the well of dry ingredients.
- Combine with a spatula, mixture may seem a little wet at first. This is normal.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Dust your hands with tapioca flour and press the dough out into a circle. Crust should be thin, about ¼”.
- Slide hands underneath the parchment and flip on to baking sheet
- Top with an all natural sauce, grilled chicken, and green onions.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the edges are slightly brown and enjoy!
Do you have a favorite healthy recipe that you love? Please let me know about it in the comments!